A truly passionate snorkeler would never invest in equipment that wasn’t worth their time. Maybe a newbie wouldn’t mind putting up with a leaky snorkel and tight fitting mask, but if you’re out in the water often, you want the good stuff. Here at Ninja Shark we get a lot of enquiries from avid snorkelers looking for ‘the best’ snorkel mask out there. You’re dedicated people and you want to use equipment that will heighten your experience, make snorkelling somehow even greater than it already is.
The truth is, though, that there’s no one ‘best’ snorkel mask out there. Maybe if there were some kind of international awards competition where one brand was crowned as the top snorkel mask, then we could tell you.
Until then, ‘the best’ that we can do is just show you what to look for when seeking out the very best of the best. In short, that means you want:
- A full face snorkel mask that is regularly updated and enhanced,
- A snorkel mask that comes with all the available technology,
- A trusty, reliable brand that offers a good warranty on the product.
So let’s look into all this a little deeper – think of this as the Insider’s Guide to Spotting a Damn Good Snorkel Mask.
Regularly updated/enhanced snorkel masks
If you’ve already spotted a full face snorkel mask you’re interested in, check to see how long ago that particular version was released. If it was over 12 months ago, it’s likely that you’ll be missing out on a lot of advancements, additions, and updates. Diligent snorkel mask manufacturers should be constantly updating and evolving their masks along with the latest available features, safety measures, and materials.
There’s always a way to make a snorkel mask better (especially after taking in customer feedback), so if you see a snorkel mask that doesn’t look like it’s been released in the last year, it’s definitely not gonna be ranking amongst ‘the best’. We’ll get more into the reasons why you want the latest models of snorkel masks later (it’s more important than getting the latest iPhone, we’ll tell you that!)
Full face snorkel mask with all the technology
It kind of fits with the above point, but just because a snorkel mask model has been released in the last year, it won’t necessarily mean that it’s got all the latest technology. And in that case, it definitely wouldn’t be amongst the ‘best’ if there are other snorkel masks out there with better technology. Just like any other product out there, full face snorkel masks are constantly being innovated.
The latest technology includes things like:
- Dedicated inhalation/exhalation breathing channels,
- Superior anti-fogging features,
- Extra uni-directional valves,
- Easier equalisation that allows you to pinch your nose, and
- All the fancy stuff like GoPro mounts.
If the snorkel mask you’re looking at has a GoPro mount but none of the other chamber features, then you’ll be taking a lot of pretty pictures but not necessarily enjoying the most comfortable snorkelling journey out there.
Full face snorkel mask with a decade long warranty
OK, it doesn’t have to be a 10 year warranty, but that’s as good as you can get when it comes to snorkel masks these days. And if you’re looking for the best, then that’s what you want. If you ever want to be absolutely confident that you’re purchasing a sound & solid product that will last you years and years, all you have to do is check the warranty.
If there’s a good, long warranty on the product available, and the brand has reliable reviews showcasing that they do in fact honour that warranty, you should be good to go. If there’s little to no warranty, or reviews show that the brand ignores the warranty, avoid at all costs! Not to toot our own horn or anything, but we offer a 10 year warranty on all our Ninja Shark masks. Just saying! We completely back our products.
What is ‘the best’ snorkel mask?
OK, so why do you need all these fancy new features and stuff? Why can’t you just stick to the original model of the full face snorkel mask and love it for years and years like you did the traditional snorkel? Well, full face snorkel masks are still quite new onto the scene, and manufacturers are continuously discovering new ways to make them better and safer to use.
You may have heard about some of the stories about full face snorkel masks being dangerous. The latest models are all designed to counter these claims and make the snorkel masks even safer to use.
- CO2 buildup – This is an extremely serious issue and any self-respecting snorkel manufacturer would have sought out a solution. At Ninja Shark this was the main focus of all of our latest improvements. We’ve developed our snorkel mask and:
- Added extra breathing channels to the tube,
- Made the tube wider,
- Added extra uni-directional valves, and
- Dedicated inhaling & exhaling breathing channels (we’re currently the only brand not mixing inhaled/exhaled air at the end of the tube).
- Leaking masks – If it’s not due to a faulty mask, water leakage is due to improper fitting masks. We’ve tackled this issue in our latest snorkel mask model by creating a mask that properly adheres to your facial bone structure – no matter what face you have! It’s a one-size-fits-all snorkel mask solution that creates a 100% leak proof seal while remaining comfortable to wear.
- Anti-fogging features – Anti-fogging technology is basically just science, and that world is evolving on its own all the time. Full face snorkel masks just get better and better when it comes to their anti-fog technology, and the latest masks give you the most crystal clear views yet.
So as you see, there’s no one ‘best’ full face snorkel mask out there. Instead, there are a number of things you should look for. When you find the snorkel that encompasses all the above characteristics of being ‘the best’, then you’ve found the right mask.